California Requirements to become a CTEC registered tax preparer:
In order to prepare taxes in the state of California (CA) you must complete a 60-hour tax course approved by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC). This includes 45 hours of federal material and 15 hours of state material. CTS4TaxSchool’s CA Comprehensive Income Tax Course includes 45 hours of federal material and 20 hours of state material, which more than covers the requirements.
CTS4TaxSchool , a division CTS4Taxes., is approved by CTEC to offer qualifying and continuing education (Online, Contact and Interactive), which is required for tax preparers to be registered and to practice in California. We encourage you to contact CTEC to make sure you do everything correctly at 1-877-850-2832, Post Office Box 2890, Sacramento, CA 95812-2890. Visit CTEC’s Website
3 Easy Steps to Becoming a Registered Tax Preparer in California
- Successfully complete a CTEC-approved 60-hour qualifying tax course. The CA Comprehensive Income Tax Course offered through CTS4TaxSchool (includes the required 45 hrs. of federal material and 15 hrs. of state material) meets the requirements for CTEC.
Within 18 months of completing the qualifying California income tax preparation course above…
- Obtain a $5,000 tax preparer bond from your insurance/surety agent.
- Obtain a certificate of completion from CTEC (complete CTEC application and submit with $25 application fee). This will take 4-6 weeks once it has been received at CTEC.
Upon completion of the California income tax preparation course , we will send you a Certificate of Completion (60 Hours) containing the following information:
- Student Name
- Provider Name
- Course Name or Description
- Course Number
- Number of Federal Hours Awarded (if applicable)
- Number of California Hours Awarded (if applicable)
- Date of Course Completion
- Signature of Instructor or CTEC Administrator
CTS4TaxSchool currently offers this new preparer education course:
Don’t forget your Continuing Education Requirements…
Once you become a registered tax preparer in California, you must complete 20 hours (12 federal, 4 state and 4 of either federal or state) of continuing education by the upcoming October 31st to maintain your status. Courses must be complete and renewals submitted by October 31st in order to prepare taxes after that date.
CTS4TaxSchool currently offers this continuing education course:
For More Information,
Visit the California Tax Education Council (CTEC) Website: CTEC